The Internet of Thinking or IOT in Bangladesh is a system of interrelated computing devices, mechanical and digital machines, objects, animals, or people that are provided with unique identifiers (UIDs) and the ability to transfer data over a network without requiring human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction. The definition of the Internet of things has evolved due to the convergence of multiple technologies, real-time analytics, machine learning, commodity sensors, and embedded systems.
Choose Which Section Suitable For You!
History of IOT in Bangladesh
The concept of a network of smart devices was discussed as early as 1982, with a modified Coke vending machine at Carnegie Mellon University. It was the first Internet-connected appliance that could able to report its inventory and whether newly loaded drinks were cold or not. Mark Weiser’s 1991 paper on ubiquitous computing, “The Computer of the 21st Century”, as well as academic venues such as Ubi-Comp and Per-Com produced the contemporary vision of IOT.
The term “Internet of things” was likely coined by Kevin Ashton of Procter & Gamble, later MIT’s Auto-ID Center, in 1999, though he prefers the phrase “Internet for things”. At that point, he viewed radio-frequency identification (RFID) as essential to the Internet of things, which would allow computers to manage all individual things.
Defining the Internet of things as “simply the point in time when more ‘things or objects’ were connected to the Internet than people”, Cisco Systems estimated that the IOT was “born” between 2008 and 2009 with the things/people ratio growing from 0.08 in 2003 to 1.84 in 2010. Source
IOT in Bangladesh
IOT in Bangladesh starts its journey almost a decade ago when some IOT based commercial services like vehicle tracking and smart electricity metering started in the country. Although the growth is too slow in this area in recent years, it receives a higher focus because of its potential importance all over the country. The overall scenario of IOT in BD is not so good. And ICT Division of Bangladesh government trying to Develop these things. The situation of IOT in Bangladesh is known easily by the following:
Hardware is the device (mainly sensors) that can receive information from the source. In Bangladesh, most of the hardware is not available. They are imported from other countries. Software is an application that can provide storage, analysis, or interchange or process personal data. In order to operate software, highly skilled developers are needed. But in our country, they are not enough. The connection of networks in Bangladesh is not so good in this modern world. It should be enhanced highly for better results. Besides most of the people are uneducated.
Even many educated persons do not know about the internet of thinking bd. So public awareness should also be increased. As the market for IOT based devices or services is not available in Bangladesh, it should be made as much as possible to make them more available to people. Again technical, mechanical, and electrical expertise is needed to be trained as a huge amount.
The living of people will be much easier with the help of using IOT in Bangladesh, as the user are increasing regularly.
IOT Impact On Our Daily lives
From morning tonight, we are connected with IOT based devices. You can’t imagine a single day without any devices. These devices (computer, TV, smartphone, smartwatch, internet, and so on) are relatively interconnected with you. What if there is no internet for a single day! The answer in a word is- the whole world’s ecosystem will be broken down. So it need not say separately how IOT impacts our daily life.
Area of Apply IOT in Bangladesh
- Agriculture- As Bangladesh is an agricultural country, most of the people are involved in farming or agriculture-based work. In farming, there are huge amounts of IOT applications including the collection of data on temperature, humidity, rainfall, properties of soil, properties of good seeds, etc. This data can be used to improve the quality and quantity of the farming processes. As well as using this data smart techniques can be followed to get more crops by providing less energy and cost. Again many technologies (water pumps, cultivator plants, etc.) for farming have used that work by using computer programming, and artificial intelligence. Farmers can also use IOT devices to analyze data and can take the right decision for getting more crops.
- Insurance- Insurance companies need to collect data on their client as well as their workers. This is not an easy task for men to do. This work can be done easily and perfectly by using computer programming, and artificial intelligence within a short time.
- Banks- Banks use a vast amount of information daily. They need to analyze data from their previous record. These records are placed on the internet which is a blessing for banks. If these records were man-made (handwriting) and keep in the bank storage, it needs a large space to keep the records safe and when it is needed to find any particular data, it is quite impossible to do so. This difficult task can be done easily because of IOT applications.
- Manufacturing- IOT gives a new era in the business and manufacturing process. The integration of various manufacturing devices like sensors, processors, communication, identification, and automation is possible because of IOT. Nowadays manufacturing processes, control of manufacturing equipment, network control, and situation management are done with IOT which is called smart manufacturing in other words. IOT makes the manufacturing process easier both for manufacturing new products as well as gives a rapid response for product demand.
- Logistics- IOT technology is used in almost every industrial sector but it takes a large area in the logistics industry. The logistics industry mainly works on demand and supply chains. They used IOT Technology Information for monitoring vehicles, tracking, and surveillance of products, delivering products, and transparent payment method by connecting with apps.
- Utilities- Like other industries, utility industries also take the advantage of IOT technology. The utility industry mainly uses smart meters which can provide real-time information about energy transmission and consumption.
- Transportation- In the transportation system, IOT is a blessing for the people. It makes the communication system easier. IOT connects the communication, control, and information process among various transportation systems. Smart traffic control, smart parking, smart driving, vehicle control, and electronic toll collection are the invention of IOT that makes life easier and more comfortable.
- Defence- In this sector IOT plays an important role. The weapons that are used in military applications are controlled by IOT. Most of these modern weapons work through artificial intelligence.
- Food Services- To preserve food, to export food, to process food IOT technology is used by food industries. IOT can also decrease the cost of processing food.
- Oil, gas, and mining- By using IOT technology, the presence of oil and gas mines can be known. IOT technology collects data, can analyze data, and then provide the result to find out the oil, gas and mining.
- Healthcare- The application of IOT for medical and healthcare are mainly related to collecting data, analysing for research, and monitoring the condition of health. Mainly IoT devices are used to monitor blood pressure and heart rate. It is also used to prevent tumours as well as to invent some special medicine.
- Smart Building- IoT devices are now used for home automation (smart building) that offers lighting, heating system, air conditioning, media and security, energy-saving, etc by the best interior design. All of these can be maintained by the remote controlling system even if they are controlled by smartphone applications.
Advantages of IOT in BD
- Accuracy- IOT devices give 100% accurate results. As they are programmable machines (artificial intelligence, works through software) there is no possibility of error. If there found any error, then it is just because of programming that was made by man.
- Efficient resource utilization- For the purpose of collecting data, analyzing data, storing data, and researching data IoT devices are needed badly in this modern world. They are the most efficient worker. For resource utilization, they are needed badly.
- Minimize human effort- As devices are more efficient and errorless they are used almost in every sector to reduce the workload of humans, to save time and energy. As a result, human efforts are minimized.
- Save time- A IoT device can solve a problem within a few seconds whereas for a man it takes a few minutes. So the uses for solving problems, and the use of devices are increased. It can save a huge amount of time along with 100% accuracy.
- Monitoring- Another area for using IOT devices is monitoring. These devices can monitor the overall condition of a company or industry, again they are used to monitor the condition of the human body (health), further, they can also monitor the condition of the vehicle.
- Enhance Data Collection- IoT devices have a large space for collecting data. They can collect and process data according to demand. If needed they can also enhance or update data from the collection.
- Improve security- The security of IoT devices is very high. As the devices are programmable the overall security is also working via those programming. It provides security for the stored data. The security system may be upgradeable.
Disadvantages of Internet of Things BD
IoT in Bangladesh is like a blessing to human beings. Although the advantages of IoT is undeniable, it has some disadvantages too. We should avoid these disadvantages.
- Over Dependence on Technology- As devices can minimize the workload and pressure of humans, they try to use devices for all of their workings. They get more advantages from the technology which make them to depend on those devices. Over dependency on technology can make people lazy even it can cause some fatal dieses like hearing problems.
- Security & Privacy Loss- Through IOT in Bangladesh based devices are more secured, sometimes it’s security or privacy may be hampered. Most of the time this occurs because of hacking or piracy although hacking or piracy is a crime.
- Lesser Employment Prospects- As technology has a higher accuracy rate, and higher efficiency, it can save more time than humans, so all the industries depend on those devices. As a result, the industries do not want to recruit new employees which causes employment problems.
- Complexity- As the IoT devices are programmable, a small error can destroy the total working environment. If any error is found, then it makes a great difficulty. Again damage in any part can also create complexity on total devices.
- Interoperability between components- Sometimes the interconnection between different components becomes hampers. This occurs mainly for the inability to maintain the relation between different kinds of components.
- Social disorder- Over dependency on technology can create violence in society. Video games and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) create over-dependency on technology which can create social disorder to most of the youngers.
As IOT in Bangladesh has both advantages and disadvantages, we should try to avoid those disadvantages. We should use the internet of things to make our life much easier and more enjoyable.